Thursday, January 03, 2008

Get Paid to Vote in Social Networks

The concept has been around for a while existing mostly in back internet forums and email news groups, but a company named Subvert and Profit is hoping to do just that by paying people for their votes. 

They are not paying for votes in the primaries or general election, but instead they are paying for people to vote on social networks such as Digg or StumbleUpon.

Is this controversial?  Yes

Will participating in such a network possibly get you expelled from Digg or StumbleUpon if they catch you?

It wouldn't surprise me.

Do they pay?  I do not know as I haven't tried the system myself.  I suspect that from the reviews I have read that they probably do make their payments, but it seems that the typical payment is between 50 cents and a dollar for each vote.  That may not buy you a Bose home theater system anytime soon, but it may give you a little extra money for engaging in an activity that you would probably do already.

At a philosophical level, I do not have a problem with this program.  I do not see networks like this as so overly important that garnishing votes in this way should be forbidden. 

If you give this one a try, let me know what you think.

If you do not give this one a try, let me know what you think and why you are not doing it.

No comments: