Sunday, February 03, 2008

Inspiration Strikes - Be Ready to Act on It with a Voice Recorder

One of the best investments I made in the last 2 years was purchasing voice recognition software last year in January.  It enables me to type much faster, but it also enables me to record a message on my cell phone and then convert it into text with my computer.

I purchased Dragon Naturally Speaking 9 Preferred for about $150.  It runs anywhere from $79 - $229 depending on which version you get.  Doctors and Lawyers can get special medical and legal editions for an good amount of money that seems cheap compared to paying a secretary.

So when I wake up in the middle of the night, which is bound to happen since my wife purchased a foam mattress pad that doesn't agree with my back, I often think of ideas for my sites and businesses. 

Instead of cranking up my computer or turning on a bunch of lights, I usually just step out of the room and grab the rest of my sleep on the couch.  But while I'm drifting back off, I use my recorder built into my cell phone to collect my thoughts.  In the morning I can then email the message to myself or pull out the smart card and transfer it to my PC where I can run it through a voice recognition program and convert it to text. 

This is just as useful on the road when I'm traveling too.

No comments: